You might remember that earlier this month I had a Strawberry Jam Session after getting a big old bucket of fresh berries at the Asheville Herb Festival. Well, here is the BEST recipe that came out of that day of experimentation – Strawberry Mango Mojito Jam!
This recipe is small, and fills only two 8 ounce jars.
- 1 Mango
- 1 pint of Strawberries (you might not use them all!)
- Sprig of fresh Mint, minced
- Sprinkle of Salt
- 1.5 tablespoons of Bell Classic Pectin
- 1 cup Sugar (white or brown)
- Rum (I used dark rum, but white Rum would work, too)
- Cardamom, dried powder
- Ginger, dried powder
- Chop the mango and pulse it in a blender, but don't puree it. Just break it down a bit, and pour it into a measuring cup.
- Add enough mashed strawberries to the measuring cup to bring it to 1 1/3 cups.
- Pour the fruit into a pot and turn on medium high heat.
- Gradually add pectin, stirring well to blend.
- Once it is at a rolling boil, add 1 cup of sugar all at once and stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir in the mint.
- Allow it to return to a boil for one minute and then remove the pot from heat.
- Just before ladling, add a dash of cardamom, a dash or two of ginger, and a hearty splash of rum.
- Stir well. Ladle into jars. leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe the jar threads, add lid, put on ring and gently hand-tighten.
- Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.
Do you need help with jam-making skills? Here’s a few great resources:
- Online Jam and Marmalade Class from Craftsy – pay now, and have the video lesson for life!
- Ashley English’s wonderful book Homemade Living: Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More can get you started on the basics and send you up to the advanced levels of jam and jelly making!